Sunday, March 06, 2005

Planetarium and Pulaski

Saturday night Brian and I got all fancy-fancy and went to the wedding of someone I work with. So much fun! The ceremony was at a Greek Orthodox church; we understood very little of the ceremony and had to stand for an hour, but the church was lovely. The reception was at the Adler Planetarium, in an area of the museum where the entire wall and ceiling were windows, with the most incredible view of the lake and skyline. AND, we got to learn all about stars and planets while drinking mojitos and eating yummy food. Amazing. The bride is Cuban and the groom is Greek, so the music alternated between salsa, merengue, and cha-cha that we could dance to, and many circle-centered Greek songs during which we were sort of exiled from the floor, even though I think we really could have held our own had we tried.

This afternoon, I will honor Kasimir Pulaski, the great Polish hero of the Revolutionary War. Chicago seems to be the only enlightened city that recognizes his heroism properly, by marking it with a public holiday. This means, of course, that I do not have to work at the after-school program. Thank you, General Pulaski, for all that you have done for our great nation. I will reflect on your valor and selfless contributions as I finish up disc 2 of Ali G this afternoon.

No comments: