Tuesday, December 06, 2005

All things go, all things go.

Two reasons today was a great day:

1) I turned in a crapload of papers and projects and one of my classes is done (although no one really understands how much work I have left with mask making alone...); and
2) I won two out of three racquetball games with Andrew today! This might have been unprecedented. I also accidentally hit him in the temple with the ball and made his glasses fly off, but don't worry, he's fine. I think I was more freaked out than him at the incident.

Also, if you haven't listened to Sufjan Stevens before, I strongly urge you to check him out. Susie wrote about this too. He's started this 50 state project where he intends to make an album for each state, I believe. It seems like a mammoth task, but he's got two of them: Michigan and Illinois. I had to start with Illinois, of course. "Casimir Pulaski Day" has been in my head for three days. I was attracted to it because of it's title; it references a random holiday that is pretty much only observed in Chicago. But it also manages to be one of the prettiest and saddest songs ever, in a good way. It's one of those songs that makes you pretend you're listening to the soundtrack of the movie of your life. You do that too, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked the Stevens' song. Especially since it forced out "Greased Lightning"* which, for reasons completely beyond my control, had been one of two tracks playing on my life's soundtrack. That and David Harrison's "I've Got my Mind Set on You." Now there's two songs to definitely NOT check out.

*The Travolta version

Anonymous said...

I do that too. But my soundtrack most frequently features Bruce Springsteen. And booty music.

MB

Anonymous said...

yes i do that! AND i definitely did it to that exact song. what a great discovery we made at the exact same time!!

svrs.

ps. mb-start your journal again! i still check it!