Friday, March 27, 2009

This is not a home blog.

However, I do have a new home, and I'm planning a wedding, which means that lots of the time (not free time, of course-- I only do this when I should be working in some way), I find myself browsing around many many design/decor/inspiration blogs that are filled with photographs that I know I will never get around to replicating.

They are beautiful though, aren't they? My sister said that she's tired of "inspiration," and I understand the sentiment: let's just pick something and move on! But then again, that's how she and I are different-- I've never been good at making decisions. I need to look at examples first. And it's rare to have a blank canvas the way I do now, so for the moment I'm going to pretend I'm a real blogger, and pick a decor category and show you a bunch of fun pictures!!

Today's decor category (and there may only be one, ever): Plate collages!

I have a small collection of antique plates given to me by my grandmother and my great aunt. They are pretty, and fragile, and painted with really cool flowers. I'd always wanted to do something with them, and then I started noticing the trend of hanging them on the wall, but in really interesting and unexpected ways. Check it out:


From Apartment Therapy
**Bonus detail! I like this birdcage, although not the fake bird. But I have an amazing old birdcage of my own that actually housed parakeets during my childhood...what could be done with that? You tell me.



From Apartment Therapy


From Domino

Pretty, huh? Now, how in the world does one actually hang plates?!

2 comments:

sarah said...

check these out for hanging plates: http://www.dischangers.com/

i'm a HUGE apartmenttherapy fan. yay inspiration. (also totally random that i was catching up on blogs today, good luck with your plates!)

Britt said...

'real blogger'? I'm flattered!
I love the plates. Go for it! I have NO IDEA how to hang them however...